All students at Berwick Academy are entitled to a Historical education that is holistic, ambitious and aspirational, introducing them through scholarship to the best that has been written and said about the topics being studied.
Our young people will develop a life-long love of engaging with History through the study of a variety of topics that span over 1000 years, including a chronological understanding of the history of the British Isles, studying medicine through time and exciting periods of world history such as the dictatorships of the Twentieth Century, the Holocaust and the Boom and Bust period of America in the early Twentieth Century.
It is vital that we prepare our students so that they are empowered to become engaged, positive and respectful citizens by developing a deep understanding of the world around them. Student’s understanding of current issues, such as the Black Lives Matter movement, come to life when placed in historical context.
We are responsible for ensuring our young people are confident to pursue ambitious next steps in historical education, employment or training which will support their future careers, however should they conclude their study of History at KS3, it is our intention that they will have a rich knowledge base that can be used as a springboard into other studies.
By engaging in our curriculum, and following the Berwick Way, our students will:
- Develop their knowledge and understanding of a range of historical periods and places.
- Develop confidence in communication skills and have opportunities to critically question and debate through evaluating historical interpretations and considering different viewpoints.
- Develop a love of reading, and the skills to read fluently, having the opportunity to explore wider significant and exclusive texts in History.
- Learn to self-regulate and work independently as well as collaboratively in History.
- Learn about the world around them through developing concepts of Chronology, Significance, Power and Change over Time.
For more detailed information about History please make reference to the following curriculum plan(s).