Careers Education, Information and Guidance
CEIAG (Careers Education Information and Guidance)
What is CEIAG?
‘Career guidance refers to activities and services intended to assist individuals, of any age and at any point in their lives, to make educational, training and occupational choices and manage their careers.
The activities may take place on an individual or group basis and may be face to face or at a distance’
OECD definition 2004
School’s Statutory Duty
The School’s governing body must ensure that the independent careers guidance provided:
- Is presented in an impartial manner;
- Includes information on the range of education or training options, including apprenticeships and other vocational pathways;
- Offers guidance with the pupils’ best interests at heart.
Our Key Principles:
All students will recieve a high quality CEIAG programme during their time at Berwick Academy. We are committed to delivering high quality CEIAG across the whole curriculum, through discrete lessons and specific events and activities.
We endeavour to give students and parents up-to-date, relevant, clear and specific information as the students progress through school, in order to support them at each stage of their career-planning and school experience.
We aim to empower the students with lifelong skils in enterprise, resilience and innovation to ensure that they are fully prepared for the ever changing world of work.
We will ensure that information will be offered impartially to students, including a range of educational and training options (including apprenticeships and other pathways).
We aim to INFORM, INSPIRE and MOTIVATE all of our students.
We will seek to continually raise the achievement of our students and both challenge and support them so that they can achieve their full potential.
We will look to involve all the stakeholders in developing the experiences for our students thereby preparing them for the world of work.
We will continually evaluate our own practice and use this to develop CEIAG provision for our students and support for our staff.
- Improved motivation and aspiration for all Berwick Academy students;
- Increased achievement and attainment for all the students in their academic studies;
- Improved understanding of the world of work and students have the skills and experiences to successfully manage themselves in this environment;
- Positive self-management;
- Positive presentation skills;
- Students successfully manage the transition from KS3-4 and make good choices for their studies at GCSE and equivalent level.
- Students successfully manage the transition from KS4 and make good choices for their next step in learning or in the world of work.
- Berwick Academy has established good links with the local community and higher education community to support its provision of IAG for Berwick Academy students.